6 Floral Techniques for Decorating Amazing Wedding Arbors
Floral design by Carolyn Shepard AIFD
If your brides are asking for creative wedding arbor ideas, you are right on track with one of the hottest wedding trends this year. There are many different floral techniques and mechanics that can efficiently and securely help you bring these beautiful ideas to life.Carolyn Shepard AIFD needed her hot pink rain boots, plastic cable ties and OASIS Floracages and a lot of patience to manage setting up a gorgeous wedding arbor in Charleston, South Carolina, during a storm. “You wouldn’t know it by looking at it, but I was in hurricane force (literally) wind and rain just before this photo was taken!” says the owner of Carolyn Shepard Designs in Charlotte, North Carolina. “I was more than ankle deep in water in that grass while working on this!” OASIS® Jumbo Cage on either corner simply cable-tied onto the existing arbor,” says Carolyn. “Southern smilax was draped over the top and cascaded down, with no need for a water source.” “Mostly the arbor style is chosen according to what the client is looking for. However, in many cases it can be determined by the need for a quick set-up, major visual impact, or minimal labor for removal at the end of an event,” Carolyn continues. “Some clients have their own arbors built, but more and more venues are providing them for the client.”
Choose from a variety of arbor decorating techniquesWedding arbors and arches can be used for both indoor and outdoor weddings. The secret for success is to choose a structure that is appropriate for the setting and reflects the style, season or theme of the wedding. Floral accents on arches, over doorways, on gazebos and similar locations are perfect for softening the hard lines or edges of a structure, says Loann Burke AIFD, AAF, PFCI, event specialist for Furst Florist in Dayton, Ohio. “Flowers in the wedding colors help to warm a space,” she explains. “Color and texture are paramount in the floral design, but capturing the spirit and heart of the bride is the ultimate goal.” As a Smithers-Oasis design director, Loann is well versed on choosing the proper design mechanic and techniques. She often shares the most proficient methods for creating stable and beautifully crafted designs with floral audiences across the U.S. and Canada. [rev_slider alias="amazing-wedding-arbors-2"]
Floral design by Loann Burke AIFD, AAF, PFCI
Use easy to install design mechanicsThere are many floral products that can be used to decorate arbors on-site. Here’s a short list of easy to install design mechanics that can be considered -
- Use cable ties, OASIS™ Bind Wire, or OASIS® Waterproof Tape to secure the following floral foam mechanics onto arbor or arch structures.
- RAQUETTES® Holders can be a good choice for a long continuous span of flowers that need a water source.
- Flowers can easily be placed at the corners of an arbor or using FLORACAGE® Grande Holder or TRIBUTE CAGE® Holders.
- A CORSO™ Holder or smaller IGLU® Grande Holders can be used to add flowers in strategic places like the tiebacks of fabric drapes.
- Attach garlands of greenery securely to the arbor structure. Add hand-tied bouquets of flowers by wiring them into the garland with cable ties, bind wire or 22 gauge OASIS™ Spool Wire.